First Dates


The other day, my son was getting ready for another first date. I was hopeful for him. 

He left to fill his car with gas. He came back home carrying a huge bouquet of roses. I must have looked shocked. He quickly explained that "she loves roses". 

I asked him to remind me how long they had been dating and if they were serious. He looked sad and said it was another first date. 

I told him that a whole bouquet of roses was not a good idea.  He looked like I had torn his heart out.  I told him that if his father had presented me with a huge bouquet of roses on our first date, I would have freaked out. 

I was his same age many moons ago, and dating as a girl was scary, even then. I had dated many guys who were desperate to woo me on the first date. Very awkward. 

My son just looked at the money he had spent. I said he could take her one rose or leave them all at home. I wanted to hug him. 

He paused for a few seconds and handed me the roses. He said, "Mom, they are for you". I said thank you, but I thought he should enjoy them himself. 

While he was getting ready for his date, I quickly cut the roses and put them in a blue glass vase and presented them to him. "Put them in your room". I kept a few of the roses and put them in our living room so that the family could enjoy them. I also snuck a couple of red roses in a small vase, and I put them in his bathroom. 

I am hoping the date went well... without the roses.

Watching my adult kid maneuver the dating world is hard for this momma. My husband and I are very honest with our son about dating, romance, and being a good date. Some lessons are painful to watch, and sometimes we can catch things before he makes a mistake. Luckily, he is a good communicator and sees us as safe to come to during this phase of his life. 

Roses are for love and commitment. Choose your dating gifts wisely. 


 





1 comment:

  1. Oh you did good. 1 is enough for a 1st date, it is hard helping our kids grow up , he meant so well

    ReplyDelete

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies- No Chill

 I am always on the lookout for a good cookie recipe. Cookies are my weakness.  I found this recipe on Pinterest and keep coming back to it ...