Everyday Graces: A Thank -You Note


Each week, my Grandma would sit down and pay her bills, write letters to friends and family, and write thank-you notes. 

Thank-you notes for others' kind gestures and the gifts I received. One day, she said it was time for me to learn how to write thank-you notes after my birthday. 

We created little cards out of construction paper.  Next, she told me what each card needed to say:


  1. Thank you for the gift. 
  2. How I was going to use the gift in my life. 
  3. To affirm their generosity and my appreciation.  

Some of my cards were simple. “Thank you for the birthday money. I plan to use the money to buy my new school supplies or save it for a dress I saw at the store (or new shoes).  Your gift is greatly appreciated, and I love that you remembered my birthday.


Sometimes, I would share my summer plans or let people know what grade I would be starting next month. For those I knew well who lived far away, I would suggest that we exchange letters throughout the year. 


She then helped me add the address and the stamp. 


Some of the letters I would personally deliver, and it was delightful to see the smiles on their faces when I handed them my card. 


When my son got old enough to write, I insisted that he write thank-you notes.  People love to be thanked. They love to be appreciated. 


Times have changed.  Very rarely, I will text someone a thank-you or email them. But I still love getting out my pretty cards and paper and handwriting a formal thank-you. 


It takes but a few minutes to say “thanks for thinking of me on my special day”.  “Thanks for making my day so much better”. “Thanks for helping me”.  Thanks for being such a great friend/family member”. “Thanks for having us over for supper. The food was wonderful.”


Grab a blank piece of paper, an envelope, and a stamp. Simple things turn into something amazing. A quick text or an email can strengthen the connection between two people. 


Thank you for reading my blog. Your time and your presence are valued here. 

6 comments:

  1. Written Thanks you cards are something I am very neglectful of doing. You had a wonderful grandmother to teach you how to do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a great lady.... so polite and insisted that I be polite as well.

      Delete
  2. Ok, silly google is not letting me sign in : Ahorsesoul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the owner of this blog, and I can only comment anonymously as well.

      Delete
  3. I rarely send out thank you cards but I have some beautiful handmade ones from one of my friends on MHH, I will try to send them out.

    ReplyDelete

Everyday Graces: A Thank -You Note

Each week, my Grandma would sit down and pay her bills, write letters to friends and family, and write thank-you notes.  Thank-you notes for...